Extra Credit Post

I found this reading really interesting especially after the discussion on the origin of week names, leap day, and how it all ties in with the planet/sun positioning. I was surprised to hear that the concept of the rigid 7 day week only really started 200 weeks ago as a result of Americans creating their own routines. Some facts that I found quite surprising included the idea of routinely having public feasts and weddings on Thursdays as they seem more like weekend activities than mid week one - especially because of the scale of both types of events. I was also surprised to hear that public executions were reserved for Fridays because I always associated Fridays with being a positive end to the week rather than a death day. 

Something I found funny was the idea of knowing the day based on smells, sounds, and feeling while living near a theatre. The whole concept reminded me of the Truman Show as the idea of tracking time and knowing the day based on everyone else following their typical routine feels similar to the repetition in the movie. 

Comments