Book 2 Post 2
The book I chose was Feel-Good Productivity: How to Do More of What Matters to You by Ali Abdaal. The book focuses on sharing Abdaal’s approach to his life and his 3 part method which works towards “feel-good productivity” or empowerment by positive energizers.
By reading this book, I had hoped to learn how to improve my productivity when it comes to tackling my school work. As I mentioned in my last post, I tend to have intermittent bursts of productivity, procrastination, intense work, and super severe burn out. I have been trapped in a positive feedback loop of me not managing my time well and being unproductive, sleeping later and later until it became normal to get 3-5 hours of sleep a day, being unfocused in classes, falling behind in content and spending hours trying to catch up and do homework, being inefficient in trying to catch up, and starting the cycle all over again. From this book I hope that I will learn how to break the loop and improve my productivity and overall lifestyle.
(Paragraph Summary - I want to learn how to be more productive and reduce the time I spend on school work and increase the time I can spend on self care in the form of sleeping.)
The first thing I got out of it was the idea of taking tasks less seriously and pushing yourself to imagine you are playing with things rather than just studying or completing a chore. By acting like 1 of 8 character types (collector, competitor, explorer, creator, storyteller, joker, director, and kinesthete) and infusing the personality of the play type into your work, you can find enjoyment in what you do.
Another thing that I actually got out of it was the idea that I may benefit from studying more with others instead of always opting to study on my own as Abdaal explains that working in sync can help some people stay energized.
My favorite part of the book was when Abdaal reminds readers that “ the most oft-forgotten truth about human interaction: when you think you’ve communicated too much, you probably haven’t
communicated enough. Is there a piece of information you’re hoarding that might just make someone else’s week?” because this was something I learned from one of my best friends in high school. She was a great communicator and would always take the time to stop and compliment people on anything ranging from their outfit, jewelry, hair, and more. It was something that brightened my day and as a result, I try to share that joy with others by being extra verbal about a friend or classmate’s new necklace or cute outfit whenever I remember to.
My take away from the first part of the book is that productivity is about more than the time or amount of effort you put into a task. It is about your attitude and mindset going into your task, both of which can be affected by your surroundings and the people you surround yourself with.
The second part of the book explores procrastination's role in productivity. Abdaal in particular highlights the importance of one’s mindset and treating the underlying causes instead of the symptoms and working your way up from smaller goals that feel less overwhelming and that you can build upon to get started on
The third part of the book (and third key takeaway) is on how to sustain your productivity and avoid burnout. My main takeaway from this section was that burn out is more about your mood, meaningful rest time, and approach to your future planning in the long, medium, and short term. By being conscious of these factors you can be more conscious of your personal burnouts and better equip yourself to avoid them.
Hi Angelita!
ReplyDeleteI also chose "Feel Good Productivity" as my second book for this semester. I went into reading this book with similar expectations as you -- learning how to overcome procrastination and become more productive with school work. I also approaches reading this book from the angle of living a more balanced/mindful life, as I realized that sometimes my productivity came at the expense of my sleep or well-being. Since reading this book, I find myself doing more of the things I love and also being more productive throughout the day (giving me more time to sleep at night). I really like your takeaways from this book -- the people and physical surroundings that are around you definitely play an important role on both your mood and productivity. I also like how you address avoiding burnout. Personally, I find myself dedicating some time during the day to work out or go to the beach (or anything that brings me joy) between assignments or studying. In taking these necessary breaks and giving myself time to recharge, I find that I am even more productive throughout the day. Overall, this is a great post!
Hey Angelita! It's awesome that you're diving into the book to boost your productivity and well-being! I feel like majority of us chose this book for the exact same reason. Specifically, Abdaal's idea of infusing tasks with playfulness and collaborating with others for energy is spot-on. Remembering to take breaks, set achievable goals, and plan for the long term can really help in avoiding burnout and has already helped me. Keep incorporating these tips, and I am sure you'll soon notice a positive shift in your productivity and overall lifestyle!
ReplyDeleteHi Angelita,
ReplyDeleteI didn't read this book but I think I would've enjoyed it. I actually really agree with taking tasks less seriously and kind of imagining yourself as a character doing simple tasks. I think that I sometimes struggle to start tasks because I get a sense of doom in my head over doing them. I think in high school I definitely struggled with burn out and probably would've been more productive heaving these tips at hand. Great post!
Hey Angelita! It's fantastic that you're exploring "Feel-Good Productivity" by Ali Abdaal to tackle your productivity and well-being! I can see the appeal of Abdaal's advice on adding a playful twist to tasks and the boost that comes from studying in groups. It's such a game-changer to remember to take breaks, set goals that feel within reach, and strategize for the future to steer clear of burnout. Thanks for sharing!!
ReplyDeleteHi Angelita! I've seen a lot of Ali Abdaal's youtube videos so I am definitely interested in reading this book after reading your post. I am also a master procrastinator and could use some of these tips and tricks to stay motivated and effective. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete