Random Thoughts 1

Hello! I wasn’t totally sure what topic to cover so I figured I’d talk about something that’s been swirling around in my mind the past few days.

Are you an emoji/emoticon user? When I say emoji/emoticon I mean things like 🫠😱🥰, or :p <3, or evenヾ(*'▽'*) and  (」°ロ°)」. I am an avid user of all of the above when I text. However, despite my constant usage of them, I never considered the variety of interpretations an emoji could have. Whenever I text someone, my brain naturally inserts different expressions that I think fit whatever I'm writing. After sending a message with emojis or emoticons, I rarely stop to think about why I sent that particular emoji or how the other person/people seeing the message might interpret it. I honestly assumed that everyone had a generally similar perception of the quadrillion emojis on our keyboards nowadays. It was recently brought to my attention that this is not always the case. In fact, I found out that even my friends and I have had entirely different interpretations of the same emoji we had been sending to each other. 

Just last week, one of my friends asked what I meant whenever I used the “🫠” emoji, an emoji that I find myself using quite often during the midterm season. At the time, I tried to explain that it was sliding/melting into the floor but could not articulate further. I have used the emoji in many scenarios and thus did not have a concrete definition behind its meaning. In one instance I might use the emoji to show my dread or embarrassment over something and my subsequent desire to disappear or melt away into the floor, and in other instances I might use it to just convey that I’m overwhelmed with work. After being unable to explain what emotion “🫠” actually represented across all the times I had used it, I started wondering what other emojis I had been using that could have multiple meanings.

To clarify, I don’t think that there is a wrong way to use emojis. However, since realizing that some emojis that are more widely used and thus more universally interpreted, I have begun to question how other people interpret some of the less straightforward emojis and emoticons. For reference, an example of a more universal emoji is the “🥳” emoji, which is a sign of congratulations or celebration no matter the context it is used in. On the other hand, emojis such as 🤩, 🥴, 🥲, 🧐, and 😋 could have different meanings depending on their context and who is reading them. Some other emoticons that could have mixed interpretations include :3, :p, T-T, uwu, (o^▽^o), (//▽//), (」°ロ°)」, ヽ( `д´*)ノ , 。゜゜(´O`) ゜゜。, (☆_@), Σ(°△°|||)︴, and ┐( ̄ヘ ̄)┌. I would love to hear your thoughts on what you think some of these mean! (for easier viewing I have included the emoticons below).

:3

:p

T-T

uwu OR UwU

(o^▽^o)

(//▽//)

(」°ロ°)」

ヽ( `д´*)ノ 

。゜゜(´O`) ゜゜。

(☆_@)

Σ(°△°|||)︴

┐( ̄ヘ ̄)┌

Comments

  1. Hi Angelita, I really enjoyed reading your post. This was one of my favorite ones because of how specific you got with emojis/emoticons. I really like how detailed you went with how each one can be expressed differently based on context. Your last paragraph made me laugh the most i really liked you gave examples of expressions. Very insightful. Overall great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angelita 🤠 loved reading your post! I like how you walked us through your favorite emojis and also explain how each emoji can be interpreted differently. I've noticed that each age group/generation uses emojis slightly differently, with the older generation using them more traditionally and the younger generation using them more ironically. For instance, the crying 😭 emoji can mean laughter to younger person, but is typically used to express sadness for an older person. I've also noticed this trend of interpreting emojis differently in different parts of the world. Overall, great post!
    -PR

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Angelita, I really enjoyed reading your post! This topic is so fun and creative, I really liked the direction you took it in and your commentary provided. I definitely do the same thing, where I interpret some emojis to mean totally different things than some other people. However, my favorite way to use emojis is through inside jokes with friends -- picking random more unique emojis to give meaning and hyper fixate on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Angelita! I wanted to comment on your post because I really thought the topic was super cool and unique. As an avid texter myself, I always use emojis to artiuclate some of my thoughts and it also requires a lot less effort to convey what I am feeling at a given time. Interpreting the emojis I feel like is a whole other game, and I really liked how you shared your thoughts on this. Overall super cool post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Angelita, I really liked your post and the way that you delve deep into a topic that one might not spend the time to really think let alone write. I agree with the vast interpretations that emoticons carry - I always get super anxious when using a new one or to someone I am not too familiar with. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Angelita! I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on the diverse world of emojis and emoticons. It's intriguing how these symbols can carry a multitude of meanings, often leading to different interpretations based on individual experiences and contexts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually had a conversation with my friend regarding this recently! For example, sometimes I use 🥰🤩🥺 sarcastically to make fun of something. However, sometimes I’m not sarcastic when I use it and it’s actually genuine—I guess in a way I depend on my friends knowing how I text and type in real life to decipher what I really mean. One of my favorites have been :] because it’s a cute smiley face, but doesn’t seem as sarcastic as :) or even :’). It’s so interesting how emojis aid us when we text and I love meeting new people and figuring out what their preferred way of using emojis are!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Angelita, I thought this was a super interesting post! This a topic that I have not thought about and I think you made a lot of great points. I started thinking about the multiple meanings of the emojis that I send. The biggest one that comes to mind is the crying face emoji, which I use when I respond to something funny but can also be interpreted as sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Angelita, thank you for your post! I also love using random emojis when I text my friends without thinking through what they really mean. I just go with the flow and see what emoji I feel like sending on the spot. To me, I think whether someone is able to understand your emojis is a great test to see if they fit your vibe or not. For my close friends, even when we first met, we never had a language barrier when communicating through emojis. In fact, they keep our conversations random and full of energy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment