Who you are matters

  • Hi everyone! My name is Angelita, and I'm a freshman currently living in IRC.
  • Describe where you come from

    • Where do I come from? Whenever I hear this question I pause because the inquirer could mean 2 different things, so I’ll answer both ways. I was born and spent the first part of my childhood in Encino before my family moved to West LA. Family background wise, I’m half Chinese (dad) and half Taiwanese (mom).

  • Tell me where you're going

    • I’m following my heart, and I'm going wherever the wind takes me in the moment. :) Next semester I will be literally going to Hong Kong for the first time and after that Milan.

  • Tell me how you plan to get there

    • By foot and by plane and maybe some train.

  • How are you LIKE your parents

    • How I’m like my dad: We…

      • Are tech & power tool savvy 

      • Hoard way too many things

      • Are good with craft and DIY projects

      • Like sweet food

      • Are always almost late (which really means we're just on time)

    • How I’m like my mom: We…

      • Are interested in business and marketing

      • Tend to take our work too seriously

      • Are fans of Kpop

      • Love traveling 

      • Love live theater/broadway shows

    • We're also all dog lovers!


  • How are you UNLIKE your parents

    • I’m not like my dad in that I…

      • Love anything matcha

    • I’m not like my mom in that…

      • I have no spice tolerance 

      • My room is in a perpetual state of mild chaos 

    • I am a total night owl unlike both of my parents.

  • Have you developed your own expectations for yourself, or if you were honest, would you say you're operating under someone else's expectations?

    • Many of the expectations I created for myself were and are based on what I assume others expect of me. When I was younger, I frequently set expectations for myself based on what I heard my friends were expected to do, whether that be in terms of behavior, grades, or interests. As I grew older, however, I started developing more of my own expectations that were truer to what I believed I could and wanted to strive for.

  • Who, other than a relative, serves as a model for you of someone who lives life with great passion and personal responsibility?

    • Someone who served as a model for me in highschool was my previous robotics captain Julianne. I always admired her persistent passion for her extracurricular activities such as robotics and debate and her reliability during robotics competitions.

  • Connecting with the ANIMAL WORLD: What wild animal do you feel a special connection with, and why?

    • Penguins! 🐧 As a kid I absolutely loved Penguins because of how cute they were. Penguins have been my favorite animal for as long as I can remember not only because they are adorable, but also because of their small size, social nature, habit of huddling for warmth, and custom of gifting pebbles to their potential life partner. I also feel a special connection with penguins because my mom’s nickname in college used to be "企鹅/Qì'é" because her Taiwanese name (chia) sounds similar to the word penguin in Mandarin.

  • Connecting with the NATURE KINGDOMS: Describe a significant childhood encounter with a tree or plant.

    • One significant childhood encounter with a tree is a potted Christmas tree that my family named Green Beans Christmas Tree. It is a tree that my parents bought for my first ever Christmas as a baby. The tree has remained in a pot to this day so we can keep it with us no matter where we may move in the future. When both the tree and I were younger, my dad would track our growth and he would tease that when I was a baby, Green Beans started out smaller than me, but now it is over triple my height.

Sun Sign: Taurus

Moon Sign: Leo

Rising Sign (in 15 Degrees Cancer)


Comments

  1. Hi Angelita, I love how you said you are following your heart. I think this is something that requires a lot of courage! Why did you choose to go to Hong Kong and Milan? I'm sure they will be two completely different experiences and you will learn a lot from both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angelita, thank you for writing such a fun post to read! I sincerely relate to your point about hoarding way too many things. I have so many things that I’ve collected over college years in my room, and I don’t know what to do with them when I have to move out as I can’t seem to part way with any of them. I am happy to hear that you are going to follow your heart and see where that takes you, because I have similar mindset when it comes to life. Lastly, penguins are indeed adorable! I used to have a family of stuffed animal penguins that I collected overtime from my visits to the Shanghai Aquarium.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Angelita, congratulations on getting into USC and hope you are having a great freshman year! I can relate to your comment on being a night owl. For some reason my mind just functions better at night. I'm also a dog lover, particularly golden retrievers. Also, I hope you enjoy your time in Hong Kong and Milan next semester, two very cool locations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Angelita! Your story about your Christmas tree is so cute and definitely such a great memory with your parents and the holidays. I like how you said your room is in a perpetual state of chaos because I can definitely relate to that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Angelita! I loved how you said you were following your heart and letting the wind guide you. For me, I feel like I ruminate over my future and tend to over-plan. I will definitely take your advice and just let life happen and then go from there:) I would also agree that I tend to set expectations for myself based on my friend's expectations. It's hard not to compare ourselves but something that is good to work on.


    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Angelita! So cool you are half Taiwanese, because I am Taiwanese :D !! So excited for you for your world bachelor journey!!! I have so many friends in the program for the previous years and they all seem to be thriving in both milan and hong kong. I really hope you have so much fun in your next few years of college. I feel you, I also felt more influenced by others growing up when it comes to expectations and now I am learning to find my own self and set my own expectations. Thank you for sharing! P.s. One of my close friends actually said he thought I was like a penguin lolll.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment