Job Description ROUGH DRAFT
Corner Cafe Manager
I have never had a formal job or internship; however, the work I did leading up to and for my entrepreneurship capstone was similar to a job.
For my capstone project, I worked as the manager of a small snack and drink store called the Corner Cafe, which was on the second floor of my school in the joint library and Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation (CEI). The store was completely student run and focused on giving students the opportunity to learn entrepreneurial skills while also raising money to fund a student pitch competition at the end of the year called the Bloom Awards.
There are a few descriptions that help to break down the miscellaneous roles I did as I worked at the Corner Cafe:
Inventory manager
Camp counselor
Technician/On demand IT support
Inventory Manager (side note - not quite a fit but I’m not sure what to replace it with)
My work in inventory involved a few things:
School surveys to determine what students want stocked
Creating and placing wholesale orders
Counting and restocking new inventory
Out of all the roles I played in the Corner Cafe, I most frequently completed inventory related tasks. I usually started the restocking process by surveying the products we currently have and working with student staff members to determine what products were most popular and that we should order more next time. I then collected input from students on what other new products they thought would be worth trying to sell. Then, I would compile all of this information into a spreadsheet that included the product name, total requested number of cases, and a price estimate for the order. After submitting the order to our wholesale intermediary, I would wait a few days for the shipment to arrive. Once the products arrived, I would take a team of student staff members to move products from the 1st floor to the 2nd. Along the way, I also taught and created tutorials for younger students on how to coordinate these tasks to prepare the next potential team of leaders of the Corner Cafe.
Camp counselor
During staff meetings and events, the leaders of the Corner Cafe serve as camp counselors as they work with students ranging from 12 to 18 years old. We do this by:
Coordinating meetings that focused on entertaining our student staff while still discussing important updates and event plans
Ensuring the safety of our staff members by providing safety training sessions and outlining courses of action for when a student breaks a glass or spills their drink
For each staff meeting, my co-leader and I played the role of camp counselors who needed to keep their students entertained to maintain their engagement during camp classes. We would do this by crafting interactive presentations, incorporating games, and by providing treats to help keep our student staff engaged in our debrief sessions covering major changes from cabinet lock changes to restocking plans. My co-leader and I both adapted to fulfilling our role as the counselor as we took charge of and adapted training sessions and introduced other small incentives to keep students engaged and eager to work.
Technician/On demand IT support
The last role of leaders of the Corner Cafe was similar to that of a technician or on demand student IT support. Often times, we had to deal with the aged check out system by doing the following:
Keeping our phones on hand in case a staff member could not access the check out system and texted us for help
Familiarizing myself with the wires of the check out computer so I could guide confused students through the re setup.
Throughout the Corner Cafe’s store space, there was a lot of potential for technological complications ranging from the computer system and the complicated program on it which we used to manage inventory and check students out, the cafe sound system, and the fridges with their digital temperature settings. To ensure that student staff could check students out from the cafe whenever they had the opportunity and wanted to work there, the leaders gave staff members our phone numbers for easy support, even if we were in class or off campus.
Passive Sentences: 4 → 0
Flesch Reading Ease: “12/35 are very hard to read”/ mostly clear / 58 readability score
Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level: Grade 11
Hi Angelita, working at Corner Cafe sounds like a great opportunity to gain managerial skills and raise funds for the Bloom Awards competition. I have not heard about this and was wondering if Corner Cafe is at USC or somewhere else? Overall I thought your writing was strong and I enjoyed reading your post!
ReplyDeleteHi Angelita! I love how you formatted your blog! This sounded like such a cool opportunity! I would love to learn more about the specific activities you hosted to keep your children engaged! What was the most challenging part of your job?
ReplyDeleteHi Angelita! Your job sounds like such a cool opportunity - I love that there was a camp counselor job within a job. Sounds like a very fulfilling role that nurtures various skillsets. I really liked the way you used descriptive words and action words to illustrate. your responsibilities.
ReplyDeleteHi Angelita! That's so cool that your capstone allowed you to work as a manager at cafe! The role of camp counselor sounds very fitting to what you described and this all actually sounds like a really rewarding position that you held. It sounds like you were a great leader and teacher to those younger than you!
ReplyDelete