JOB DESCRIPTION - REVISED
Corner Cafe Manager
I have never held a formal job or internship; however, my work leading up to and for my entrepreneurship capstone was like a job.
For my high school capstone project, I managed a small snack and drink store called the Corner Cafe. The store was completely student-run and allowed students to learn entrepreneurial skills while raising money to fund a student pitch competition at the end of the year called the Bloom Awards.
There are a few descriptions that help to break down the miscellaneous roles I did as I worked at the Corner Cafe:
Inventory manager
Camp counselor
Technician/On-demand IT support
Inventory Manager
My work in inventory involved a few things:
School surveys to determine what students wanted stocked
Creating and placing wholesale orders
Counting and restocking new inventory
Of all the roles I preformed in the Corner Cafe, I most frequently completed inventory-related tasks. Every other week I guided staff members through inventory surveys to determine our most popular products and what was low in stock. We also sent surveys to the student body throughout the year to learn what other products students wanted us to sell. After reconciling this information into a detailed spreadsheet order form, I forwarded the order to our wholesale intermediary. After the order arrived, I would coordinate with staff members to bring the products up and restock the cafe. Along the way, I also taught younger students how to coordinate these tasks to prepare the next potential team of leaders of the Corner Cafe.
Camp counselor
During staff meetings and events, the leaders of the Corner Cafe serve as camp counselors as they work with students ranging from 12 to 18 years old. We do this by:
Coordinating meetings that focused on entertaining our student staff while still discussing updates and event plans
Ensuring the safety of our staff members by providing safety training sessions and outlining courses of action for when a student breaks a glass or spills their drink
In staff meetings, my co-leader and I were like camp counselors. After realizing that staff members often lost focus in meetings, we tried other ways to improve our communication. To entertain our staff in meetings, we switched to more interactive presentations and games. Both my co-leader and I adapted to our role as counselors as we modified training sessions and introduced other small incentives to keep students engaged and eager to work.
Technician/On-demand IT support
The last role of leaders of the Corner Cafe was like that of a technician or on-demand student IT support. Oftentimes, I had to deal with the aged checkout system by:
Keeping my phone on hand in case a staff member could not access the checkout system and texted me for help
Familiarizing myself with the many computer wires so I could fix the wiring and restart the attached devices
The Corner Cafe's point of sale computer frequently malfunctioned. Every week, the computer system and the program we used to manage inventory and check students out would crash. After the malfunction happened a few times, I learned how to resolve the error and help others do the same. As a result, I turned into an on-demand call and text help center for any staff who struggled with the computer. To ensure that student staff could check students out from the cafe whenever they had the opportunity and wanted to work there, the leaders gave staff members our phone numbers for easy support, even if we were in class or off campus.
Passive Sentences: 0
Flesch Reading Ease: 59 readability score
Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level: Grade 11 --> Grade 9
Hi Angelita,
ReplyDeleteCorner cafe sounds like a great experience. Juggling inventory, fixing technical problems on the fly, and keeping teens engaged sounds like a handful and rewarding experience. I really liked your idea about the interactive meeting, I thought it was very clever. This would be a good idea to someone implement into other jobs to keep staff focused. Looking forward to hearing more about your entrepreneurial journey beyond corner cafe.
Hi Angelita,
ReplyDeleteManaging a cafe sounds like an exciting and unique business experience. Not only do you get some creative agency with planning the layout/marketing of your cafe, but you also get valuable operational experience in running the cafe. Solving pressing issues (ie: inventory) while keeping clients happy is a great skill, as it shows you can balance multiple tasks and prioritize your goals well. Overall, this sounds like a great experience and great post.
-P.R.
Hi Angelita! Your job managing a cafe seems really interesting and very versatile. I really liked reading your part about the outdated checkout system and how you had to find ways to work around this issue. It's really cool how you acted as counselors for students, teaching them as well as running the cafe. It seems that your job also required a lot of time management too - really good read!
ReplyDeleteHey Angelita! I really enjoyed reading your piece especially due to the wide array of hats you had to put on --- seems like a really great experience. From IT work to learning how to manage people, it seemed liked you picked up on both soft skills as well more technical hard skills. I would love to hear more about how your role also compares to others out there as such would definitely help me with understanding your functionalities while providing for an even more entertaining read. Overall really well written!
ReplyDeleteHi Aneglita! Your journey as Corner Cafe manager for your capstone project was really cool! Managing inventory, acting as a camp counselor, and handling on-demand IT issues without any prior formal job experience shows a lot of initiative and versatility. Your approach to engaging with students and tackling technical challenges is particularly interesting!!
ReplyDeleteHello Angelita, it is such an amazing experience as a cafe manager since I want to own a pet cafe shop in the future. After reading your journey, I just found out that being a cafe manager is not as simple as people assumed. Taking care of the inventory seems to be a huge part of the job and should never be ignored
ReplyDeleteHi Angelita! I loved reading your post about working as a cafe manager. I understand how working for a F&B business can encompasses a variety of duties as you mentioned. From being a camp counselor during staff meetings to providing IT support to troubleshoot systems in emergency situations is definitely an important part of the job and something that is also very rewarding and hands-on. thank you for sharing!
ReplyDelete